Weighted Water Extraction!
Water extraction is extremely important in water remediation. When a water damage occurs in a home or a business, the first step in water mitigation is to remove all the water as quickly as possible! This will reduce the risk of water spreading into various areas into other rooms and reduce the damage.
Recently we serviced a home North of Albany where a supply line in a bathroom had broken and affected all three levels of the home! Immediately our crew was on the scene! We used a method of water extraction called “weighted extraction”. This technique is used to remove water from carpets and pads without having to remove the carpet! It allows us to save the carpet and in the end save on drying time! This method unfortunately cannot always be used. However, If contamination levels are low, then this is the best system to use. Still, if we are unable to use this method our expert team has other processes that we can use to extract water from your carpets and home!
We here at the SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties are dedicated to responding immediately to you when you contact us! A quick response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the cost of these disasters. If your business or home experiences a water damage, please call us at (518) 677-3444 and our professional team will make it “Like it never even happened."
What's a Soot Web?
Soot webs in a customers basement after a recent fire.
After a fire in your home you’ll probably spend a lot of time focusing on the aftermath of this disaster. One thing that you may notice along the edges and corners of your ceiling are what many customers think are “dirty cobwebs”. However, these are called soot webs! These are not indicative of your cleaning skills at all they are actually due to the fire!
Soot webs form when ionized soot particles stick together and form long chains. These webs like to move to cooler areas in your home which is why you will likely see them along the edges of your walls and ceilings.
Do not attempt to clean these soot webs all by yourself! In order to properly clean them the correct chemicals and experience are required. Otherwise, further damage can be done if the proper action is not taken! We here at the SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties have crews that are trained and have the precise tools and experience to clean up these soot webs the right way!
If you have a fire damage please call us at (518) 677-3444.
Storms and Floods: Tips and Safety to Consider!
Flood water can wreak havoc on any home or business. Avoiding floods may not be entirely possible but there are ways to reduce the impact of water damages. If a storm is approaching here are some actions to take!
- Consider flood insurance. Floods tend to follow storms and many policies do not cover floods so check your policy to make sure you are covered!
- Locate weak points. Retrofit your doors and seal all windows. You can even have a professional come out to inspect your roof, basement, and gutters.
- Keep valuables on your upper levels. Floods tend to for the most part impact basements so moving irreplaceable belongings to upper levels or even higher up on shelves can help reduce risk of damage.
- Consider purchasing a portable generator.
- Remove or trim rotting trees or branches around your home or business. These are at increased risk of falling and causing injury or damage during a storm!
- Sign up for your communities alert system. So you can be prepared for when a storm is approaching.
- During storm unplug appliances and other electrical devices.
- Avoid flooded roadways. Never drive your vehicle through a road that is flooded.
- Watch for fallen power lines and trees. Always be on lookout!
- Stay away from anything metal! Avoid wires, metal fences, tractors, farm equipment, golf clubs, bicycles, etc.
Storms can hit quickly and unexpectedly, leaving a trail of damage behind. SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide emergency services. Our crew responds quickly to restore properties affected by storms, if you experience storm damage please call us at (518)677-3444.
Flooded Basement? No Problem!
Recent basement that was flooded and in the drying process
Cleaning basements especially after a flood calls for a team of professionals with the proper equipment and experience to get the job done right. The water needs to be extracted as soon as possible to reduce the damage. Your basement can become flooded for several reasons, broken pipes, flood conditions (storms), sewer backup, and malfunctioning appliances. Regardless of the cause something must be done and we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselear/South Washington Counties are here to help!
Our team of trained specialists would first pump out or remove any standing water and debris. Cleaning and disinfecting then needs to take place and the final step in the mitigation process would be drying!
As water damage specialists our team of skilled professionals have the advanced training and experience that enables us to get your basement dried properly as well as any of your affected belongings cleaned and dried.
Homeowners and business owners dealing with a flooded basement can rely on us here at SERVPRO of North Rensselear/South Washington Counties to make it “Like it never even happened."
If you experience a flooded basement or any other water damage, please call us at (518) 677-3444.
Precautions to Take During Thunder and Lightening!
According to the National Weather Services, so far in 2019 there have been 12 fatalities due to lightening. When lightening strikes do you know what to do? What measures can you take to ensure your safety, your family’s safety, and even your pets? Here are some safety suggestions and guidelines to follow!
- Get inside a house or a large shelter. If safe shelter is unavailable find a low spot away from trees, metal fences, and poles.
- Do not use your balcony, porches, or an open garage area during storm.
- Do not use a phone that is attached to a cord. Only use cordless or wireless phones.
- Do not shower and avoid washing your hands and dishes.
- Bring your pets inside during a severe storm, avoid leaving them tied up outside or in a doghouse.
- Do not touch TV’s, computers, or other electronic devices or appliances with cords.
- Do not lean on exterior doors or windows that could possibly contain some amount of metal components.
- Postpone outdoor activities if thunderstorms are imminent.
- If boating or swimming, get out of the boat and away from the water, get to land and find some shelter.
- Wait at least 30 minutes after you hear the last roar of thunder before going outside.
Here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties we want our community to stay safe and follow precautions!
Air Duct Cleaning Importance and More!
SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties now offers local duct cleaning for residential and commercial HVAC systems. We just recently have cleaned air duct systems using negative pressure for Albany International Airport, Bennington College, and many other local companies and residents. Our pro duct cleaners will provide you with a thorough cleaning of your duct system and walk you through every step of the way.
Why you should have your HVAC system cleaned?
Your HVAC system plays an important role in your air quality. Over time increased dust, pollen, odors, and other debris build up and decrease the air quality and negatively impact your systems performance.
Benefits of Servicing HVAC Unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency
- Helps to eliminate offensive odors
- Helps to reduce the growth of mold
For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning please call SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties at (518) 677-3444.
This year's Annual Convention in Sacramento, California, was a very special one as we celebrated 50 years of making history!
The convention is a time for SERVPRO owners and managers to come together and talk about new initiatives for SERVPRO, attend workshops, and celebrate this year's achievements. It was a week of limitless information from creating a great team, improving customer service, to managing our website, and the list goes on!
We are so proud to be a part of the ONE TEAM SERVPRO family. And we are extremely excited to implement everything we learned at this year's convention!
SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties takes pride in servicing our community North of Albany.
If you ever experience fire or water damage in your home or business please call us at (518) 677-3444.
Grilling Safety Tips
July is National grilling month! Nothings better than cooking up some burgers and hotdogs on the grill in the summertime. But before firing up that grill, SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties would like to remind you to be safe and use precautions when grilling. If your grill is not used properly, an unexpected, unwelcoming fire can turn your fun cookout into a disaster. Here are some helpful tips to keep everyone safe this summer:
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors.
- Grills should be placed far away from the home, railings, or overhanging branches.
- NEVER leave the grill unattended.
- Always keep a spray bottle nearby in case of a sudden flareup.
- Keep the grill clean by removing all access grease and fat buildup left behind from previous cookouts.
If you experience a fire at your home this summer, call the professionals at SERVPRO at North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties at (518)677-3444.
Thunderstorm tips and safety
Thunderstorms are in the forecast
Thunderstorms are in the forecast north of Albany tonight and tomorrow. In upstate NY, these types storms are very frequent during the summer months, so we thought it might be a good time to share some tips to help you prepare for the storms yet to come.
Different between a Watch vs. a Warning
Watch: Conditions are favorable for severe storms. Be alert, and be on the lookout for severe weather conditions and be ready to move to a safe place if you hear thunder or see lightning.
Warning: Severe weather is imminent or occurring. Action should be taken immediately.
Severe thunderstorms are capable of producing damaging winds and hail. It is rare, but sometimes in our area straight line winds can occur if the storm is strong and fast enough. It is very important shelter is taken during a severe storm.
The safest place in a thunderstorm is inside a sturdy building. Stay away from windows, anything that is plugged in, and plumbing. If you can’t find a substantial structure for shelter, you can get into a car with a metal roof and sides.
While it is nearly impossible to predict when a tragedy will occur, SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties provides 24 hour emergency services for when it does. If your home or business experiences storm damage, call us today at (518)677-3444.
What is dry ice blasting?
Dry ice blasting is a carbon dioxide cleaning method using solid CO2 pellets (dry ice) to create a pressurized air steam that is directed at a surface to clean it. This cleaning method is similar to others, such as sand blasting, bead blasting, or soda blasting as it cleans the surfaces using a pressurized air steam. Dry ice blasting is an environmentally safe cleaning method and is nonabrasive, non-conductive, nonflammable, and non toxic.
Dry ice blasting is often used to remove smoke, soot, and char damage after a fire at a home or business. It also provides a fast and effective alternative to traditional methods of cleaning industrial production equipment. This process is the preferred method of cleaning because it leaves no chemical residue, in comparison to other blasting methods, as dry ice sublimates, or coverts back to a gaseous state, when it hits the surface that is being cleaned.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (518)677-3444