Is Your Emergency Kit Ready for Hurricane Week>
Give us a Call for all your Storm Emergency Needs. 518-677-3444
If a community is not prepared for a severe storm, the consequences can be devastating. We here in the North Rensselaer and South Washington County area are no strangers to storms! So, we here at your local SERVPRO wanted to share with you a few tips to keep in mind when putting together your emergency kit in the event of a severe storm.
A basic emergency kit should last you roughly 3 days and should include the following recommended items:
- Water (the average person should have one gallon per day)
- Non-perishable Food
- First aid kit as well as any medication that you are currently taking
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Battery powered or hand crank radio
- Local map
- Cell phone with backup charger
- Extra set of clothes
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Pet supplies if you are taking care of an animal.
These are just a few examples of what an emergency kit should contain. You can add whatever you would like to your own! You can also use ready.gov for additional ideas on what to pack in your emergency kit. We want to help you prepare for any storm! If a storm ever damages your home or business, please call us at (518)-677-3444.
Tips for Fire Pit Safety
Give us a call for any fire or water damage. 518-677-3444
There is nothing like enjoying a cool summer night sitting around a fire pit with your friends and families. Many of us look forward to nights like these where we can enjoy our time together. However, before you start to dream about starry nights and roasted marshmallows take a moment to review some of these tips and tricks for fire pit safety!
- Always build or place your fire pits in a flat open area, be sure to avoid areas that have trees.
- Always use dry wood and kindling to light your fire never use accelerants or garbage to light a fire.
- Never throw materials besides wood onto your fire.
- Ensure the seating area is large enough and properly placed for ventilation.
- Do not wear flammable clothing such as nylon or loose clothing that can easily get caught in fire.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water nearby.
- Check your wind direction prior to starting a fire.
- Us a commercial grade fire pit screen on top to help prevent large amber from leaving the controlled area.
- Do not allow children to start a fire or play near it, children should always be closely supervised around fires.
- When the fire dies down, use a shovel, and spread out the ashes to allow them to cool down. Pour water over the ashes and watch the, closely to ensure no embers remain or reignite.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind when planning to have a fire pit in your backyard. Fire safety is something that we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties take very seriously and we want the best for you and your family. Please give us a call if you experience any fire damage, we are certified in fire restoration and have a team of highly trained professionals who are ready to help. So, if you ever need us, please call us at (518) 677-3444.
Vandalism Cleanup for North Rensselaer/ South Washington County Hotel
Give us a call if you have vandalism done at your business.
Vandalism is the willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property. Vandalism includes graffiti, breaking windows, knocking over one’s property, “keying” vehicles or walls etc. As a business owner vandalism can be a very upsetting event to discover in your building. It ranges from relatively minor pranks to malicious destruction of property. According to the U.S Small Business Administration just one single act of vandalism on average costs over $3,000.
Property damage caused by vandalism such as a broken window, can cause serious property damage such as mold if not handled in an efficient and a timely manner. Which can ultimately, if not taken care of lead to permanent damage to the structure. When a building is left unattended, it may be found with broken windows, broken doors, graffiti, and even fire damages in some cases.
As a business and property owner finding you building in a state like this can be devastating. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties is a group of highly trained professionals who are equipped to clean and restore your property quickly and effectively, allowing you to resume your daily activities. SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties is an IICRC certified business that you can trust to service your business for vandalism and graffiti cleanup. We know how important restoring your business is to you and we want to help. Our professionals will act quickly to remove vandalism from your home or commercial spaces. We are a 24/7 emergency service business that will be there to help and restore your business back to "Like it never even happened." So do not hesitate to give us a call at (518)677-3444 if you have experienced any property damage caused by vandalism.
Simple Burn First Aid Tips
Give us a call for all your fire needs. 518-677-3444
When we think of fire damages we usually immediately think of our homes/offices or our belongings being destroyed. However, every year hundreds of thousands of individuals every year suffer from burn injuries. If you or someone you care about suffers a burn injury it is important to act quickly to help alleviate the pain and minimize the damage or extent of the injury. Here are some helpful tips that might help!
- Remove All Jewelry
One of the first things you should do if you have experienced a minor burn is to remove all jewelry near the burn area such as a ring or watch in order that they do not get stuck if the burn swells.
- Cool Burned Skin
Use cool water on the skin until the pain subsides or decreases. Using a cold compress may also work. You may depending on the severity of the burn want to apply a moisturizer such as aloe to help relieve pain and keep the area moisturized in order that it does not dry out.
- Loosely Bandage
Use sterile gauze to loosely wrap the affected area to help the area stay dry and clean as it heals.
- Take Pain Medication
Many of the times in minor burns the above steps will help to alleviate the pain. However, this is not always the case. Over the counter pain medications can help burn victims that are still in pain after the above measures are taken in the first aid process.
- Seek Medical Attention
If someone is still in a significant amount of pain after these steps or the burn is severe and beyond what you can handle, be sure to seek professional medical attention! Always seek medical attention if you feel you need it!
Fire damages in your home or commercial building can be overwhelming to think about, but knowing how to do burn first aid correctly and promptly will help keep you and your employees safe!
Why SERVPRO is the Best Choice for Cleaning Your Contents!
Give us a call for all your contents needs. 518-677-3444
A fire in your home can be devastating especially when some of your valuable contents get damaged! Your items are valuable to you and we here at SERVPRO understand and respect that! We take pride in taking care of your items as if they were our own. And our highly trained professionals are up to the task of restoring your items that have been damaged in a fire back to "Like it never even happened."
Contents such as clothing or other items that have been damaged, but not destroyed by a fire can sometimes be restored by dry cleaning and other methods to remove soot and smoke smells. This process is called content cleaning, and we here at SERVPRO are content cleaning experts!
There are two ways we classify contents soft or hard. Soft contents include items such clothing, bedding, leather goods, uniforms, etc. These consist of items that are made from fabric or other soft materials. Hard contents include items such as furniture, electronics, antiques, sports equipment, etc.
There are several different cleaning methods that are used depending on the type of items that need to be cleaned and what would be the most affective. Dry cleaning is often used to remove light soot/residue on pre clean clothes. Wet cleaning is used to remove heavy residue. Foam cleaning is used for upholstery fabrics and the spray and wipe method is used on items that may be damaged by the wet cleaning process. There also is immersion cleaning is used for contents that can be submerged in cleaning products. Abrasive cleaning is only used on some hard surfaces when other methods have not been successful.
Prior to cleaning your contents, we will send out a fire restoration crew chief who will examine your belongings and determine which items are salvageable and unsalvageable, this is called content analysis.
In some cases, pack outs are needed and this requires us to pack out all your damaged salvageable belongings and move them to our facility for cleaning. Items that have been cleaned are then kept in a storage container until they are ready to be packed back and delivered back to the homeowner.
Here at SERVPRO our team of highly trained fire restoration team members are eager to help you and your family in a time of need. We know how valuable your items are and we have the system, equipment, cleaning products, and knowledge to restore your belongings. If you experience a fire and need assistance please call us at 518-677-3444.
Ice Dams Can Cause Water Damage in Your Bennington Count Vt. Home
Give us a call if you have an ice dam that is making a mess inside your home. 802-375-1500
What is an ice dam you might ask? An ice dam is thick build ups of solid ice along the eaves of you roof. Ice dams are formed because heat builds up in your attic which warms your roof but does not warm your eaves. That snow then melts due to the warmth of the roof from the attic and then the snow freezes again once it reaches the cold eaves. And finally, the ice accumulates along the eaves and forms a dam. Then the meltwater from the warm roof begins to back up behind the ice dam and flow under the shingles in your home causing you to have a water damage.
We here at SERVPRO of Bennington and Rutland County have experience in remediating your home if you have been impacted by an ice dam. We have a team of trained professionals who are all certified in IICRC water and mitigation work. Our team along with our state-of-the-art equipment can make your home that has been affected "Like it never even happened." However, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you prevent ice dams forming all together!
- Use heated cables. These will allow you to equalize the heat on your roof.
- Use a fan box. Place a fan box and aim it at your roof where the leak is actively happening. Doing this will freeze the water and help stop the leak from continuing.
- Rake the snow from your roof using a roof rake!
- Adding more insulation to your attic floors to help keep the heat from rising.
- If your attic has an unsealed hatch cover it with weather stripped caps.
These are just a few helpful tips to prevent/ fix ice dams. If you have any further questions or have a water damage in your home or business, please call us at 802-375-1500!
Tips and Facts on Why Cigarette Causes Smoke Damage
Give us a Call for and Smoke and Fire Restoration. 518-677-3444.
Smoking cigarettes is not only harmful to our bodies, but it is also very damaging to our homes. Smoking can cause wall/ceiling staining, discoloring to paint or wallpaper, and leaves a very unappealing odor that stays in your walls/furniture/carpet. Cigarette smoke leaves a yellowish-brown gluey substance that sticks to all the above-mentioned surfaces in your home. It is extremely time consuming and can be exceedingly difficult to remove. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties have the proper tools and trained professionals that have specialized deodorizing equipment to help with any unwanted smoke odor in your home!
Here are some tips that you can do to prevent/ help eliminate tobacco odor in your home:
- Open doors/windows to allow as much fresh air in as you can
- Use a ammonia and glycol cleaning product to neutralize odors on your walls and ceiling
- Repaint walls if cleaning them does not work
- Get indoor plants that can absorb a high percentage of indoor pollutants
- Place small bowls of coffee throughout your home
- Use an air purifier in your home
If these methods are unsuccessful, please call us at 518-677-3444 where we will be happy restore your home back to "Like it never even happened."
What is a Flash Flood?
Give us a Call if there is water running into your house from a flash flood. 518-677-3444
What is a flash flood? A flash flood is a rapid flooding of low-lying areas, usually caused by heavy from sever thunderstorms, hurricanes, or collapsing of human made structures like dams. The National Weather Service defines flash flooding as flooding that begins within 6 hours of heavy rainfall. They also recommend people get out of the area of the flash flood and not attempt to face it or cross its paths.
What makes these floods so dangerous is how rapidly they can occur and how fast moving the water can be. Flash floods are serious and many loose their lives yearly from them. There are several steps however you can take to keep you and your family safe during a flash flood!
- Have an emergency plan and kit ready.
- Follow evacuation orders immediately.
- Stay up to date on weather forecasts.
- Do not attempt to walk and or drive near flooded areas.
- If it is too late to evacuate your home call 911 and move to the highest point in your home.
We here at SERVPRO know the seriousness of flash floods and we are always here to help. If you’ve experienced any water damage due to a recent storm, give SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington County a call and well make sure to make it "Like it never even happened."
What to do When Your Commercial Basement Floods
Give us a call 518-677-3444
When a basement floods it is a stressful and confusing time. There are several different reasons basements can flood, a broken water pipe, heavy rainfall, or even a sump pump failure. Fortunately, here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties we have been able to help businesses with flooded basements all around our local area and are ready to help you! Here are some important steps to take when dealing with a flooded basement:
- Turn off your electricity. This is the first step you want to take as soon as you can safely navigate to the breaker box. Appliances or wires may be in water so there is a good chance there is an electrical current traveling through standing water. This can be deadly! You would want to contact an electrician or electrical company if you are unable to turn it off safely.
- Find/Stop the source of the flood. If you discover the flood is plumbing related, you will want to turn off your businesses main water valve. If you discover it is rainwater that is flooding your business, you will want to use sand bags or flood bags to create a barrier.
- Remove the water. You can use a shop vac, mopping, or blotting to do this depending on the severity. However, the more water you can pick up the better!
- Remove affected materials. You want to dispose of flooded carpeting or padding that is unsalvageable. Other porous items such as wooden furniture or sofas need drying as soon as possible to salvage them!
- Did you know that mold can start to develop withing 24 hours of introduction to water? It is crucial to dry and disinfect the area properly in order to keep mold and bacteria from growing and spreading.
If your business suffers a water damage from a flooded basement, you want to check your insurance coverage to see what is covered. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties have years of experience and the resources to help with all your water damage needs. And we are prepared to get your business back to pre-flood conditions, "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties 1-4-8 Service Response
Give us a Call 518-67-3444
No one likes to stand around and wait all day for anything especially during an emergency. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties know the importance of emergency response time that is why we live by the 1-4-8 response guidelines. No matter the size of the project whether it be mold, fire or water damage in your home or business we will be there quickly with our team of trained professionals to make it "Like it never even happened."
Service Response Guidelines
1 Hour- Within one hour of notice of loss you will be contacted by someone from our team to make further arrangements and assess the issue you have going on in your home or business!
4 Hours- Within four hours of notice of loss our team will be on site to start the work (if necessary).
8 Hours- Within eight hours of notice of loss we will brief you on the scope of the damage and the plan going forward to help restore your home or business.
At SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties we assure you we always follow our Corporate’s 1-4-8-time guidelines and strive to assist our customers as fast as possible! We know when our services are needed this is a difficult time for our customers so we will always do our best to be there to help as quickly as possible! If you have a water, mold, or fire damage, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Bennington/ Rutland Counties at 802-375-1500!