Stay Safe While Grilling!
If us a call for our SERVPRO Grill Safety Tips. 518-677-3444
With grilling season in full swing so are grill related disasters! Did you know that between 2014-2018 there were around 10,600 home fires per year due to a grill like incident? The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that roughly there was $149 million in damages due to these fires. There are however steps you can take to help minimize your chances of ending up in a bad situation and protect yourself and your loved ones.
- Grills should be placed away from your home, deck railings, and overhanging branches.
- Be aware of grass near your grill especially if it dry. If ashes fly off from your grill and land on dry grass a fire can be started quickly.
- Always keep your children and pets away from the grill!
- Never leave your grill unattended!
- Always clean your grill after you are finished using it. You want to remove grease and fat buildup from the grill trays and below your grill.
When fire and water damages transpire a fast response is crucial. And we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties are here to help! We are available 24/7 365 days a year and are dedicated to responding immediately to your needs. A faster response time helps to prevent secondary damage and greatly reduce costs. If you experience a barbecue or grill fire, call us at (518) 677-3444.
SVMC Essential Workers Charity Golf Tournament
More details on the tournament to follow!
We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties are beyond thrilled to announce that on October 2nd, 2021 we will be hosting our first every Charity Golf Tournament! This tournament is benefiting South Western Vermont Medical Center (SVMC). We are especially grateful to all our essential workers at the hospital and are proud to support this wonderful cause!
SVMC has provided quality medical care for the Bennington area for roughly 100 years. It has nine total locations that service Bennington, New York, and Massachusetts. This year has been far from easy and even more challenging with the Covid 19 Pandemic. Yet, SVMC has provided excellent care to many in our local communities despite the many difficulties they have faced.
We are so looking forward to supporting the hospital in this charity tournament and we hope to see many of you there! Keep an eye out on our Instagram and Website where more details are soon to follow!
How to Prevent Rain Damage and Water Inundation in Your Building
Give us a call if you basement is flooded and you need extraction. 518-677-3444
Rain damage can lead to mold growth and structural damage to your North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties commercial property. This is something no business ever wants to experience and have to go though. Fortunately, there are several different precautions you can take to avoid water inundation in your commercial building.
Building envelopes are barriers between the interior of a building and the outdoors. Some examples of this would-be doors, windows, the roof, and even the walls or foundation. Regular maintenance on these envelopes is essential to maintain their integrity. These envelopes are your buildings primary protection against water damage. You want to keep an eye out for cracks, deteriorating seals, mold growth, or other signs of envelope failure.
At times of heavy rain, it may be necessary to set up temporary precautions to protect the buildings envelopes against rain damage. Remember, that barriers should not go around the entire building because water that gets between the barrier and the building needs to be able to escape.
Weather is among one of the many things that business owners cannot control. Hopefully, the above precautions will be able to minimize or eliminate a water damage from happening. However, if these steps do not work you will want to hire a professional mitigation team to handle the work. We here at North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties are a team of highly trained professionals with the skills to restore any size building that has been impacted by a water damage. Our staff has state of the art drying equipment that will aid in this restoration process. We are a 24/7 emergency service company that is always here to help! Please give us a call at (518) 677-3444 if you experience any storm damage large or small!
Fire Safety for Your New York Hotel
Give us a call if you commercial building is damaged by fire. 518-677-3444
If you run a hotel business, you will want to do all you can in order to protect your hotel from a disaster such as a fire damage. Today, we are sharing some tips that can help you prevent a fire damage and some helpful tips in the event a fire does occur:
- Proper signage. Exit signs need to be clearly marked for all to see. They should be illuminated with backup batteries in case there is a power outage.
- Sprinkler system. Ensure your sprinkler system is functioning properly by having it serviced every 12 months or less by a licensed professional.
- Fire alarm system. Your fire alarm system should also be tested and serviced regularly by a licensed professional.
- Escape Routes. Escape routes should be positioned in ways that ensure anyone can safely reach them. These escape routes should be obstruction free, be enclosed with smoke and fire-resistant materials, and remain closed as much as possible to prevent the spread of smoke and fire.
- Electrical outlets. Each electrical outlet should have no more then one item per outlet plug being used. All cords should be kept in good repair and replaced when needed!
- Have fire evacuation plan ready and accessible to all!
- Inform your guests of fire safety. All hotel guests should be informed of manual call points and the hotels escape routes. Forms should also be accessible to guests that clarify information such as steps to take if the guests see a fire or hears fire alarm.
In the unfortunate event of a hotel fire, please reach out to SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties. Our team is experienced in cleanup projects after fires both large and small. We are also mold remediation specialists, and here to help in the event of water damages, fire damages, and storm damages. Give us a call at (518)677-3444.
Summer Vacation Plans? Protect Your Home From Water Damage While You Are Away!
Give us a call for all your water, fire, or mold needs. 518-677-3444
Summer Vacation Plans? Protect Your Home From Water Damage While You Are Away!
Summer 2021 officially kicks off June 21st, 2021! And with summer usually comes a vacation. We all could use a vacation and the last thing you want to worry about on vacation is a water damage in your home when you return. One of the most common causes of home water damage during the summer is when a family leaves to go on vacation. We leave our homes empty for days, weeks, and some people even months and the tiniest of leaks left unchecked can cause a substantial amount of water damage that can be devastating!
In order to prevent water damages from occurring while you are on vacation it is important to prepare your home! We here at SERVPRO have some tips to ensure the safety of your home!
- Turn off the main water. Turning off the water main to your home will avoid water pressure from building up in your pipes and weaken them.
- Turn off your water heater. This prevents your water heater from having any problem while you are away.
- Drain your pipes. Running faucets in your home will ensure that the pipes are alleviated of any pressure.
- Have a friend or neighbor check on your home. With so much that can go wrong when we are away from our homes having someone to check on your house will be the best way to sure any situation that unfortunately can occur will be handled quickly and this will decrease the amount of damage that can happen.
If you or your loved ones experience any kind of water damage, we here at SERVPRO are available 24/7 for all of your water restoration needs. We have state of the art equipment as well as IICRC water mitigation experts who will be there at any time of the day to help you in a time of need. Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you experience a water damage at 518-677-3444. We are happy to help!
What’s A Flood Cut?
Give us a call for all your water damage needs. 518-677-3444
When your North Rensselaer/ South Washington County home experiences a water damage it can lead to many problems in your home, such as contamination or mold growth. If your drywall gets wet, you most likely will require a professional restoration company to come in and perform water restoration. If left wet or not dried out professionally wet drywall or other materials can lead to quick mold growth.
So, what is a flood cut? A flood cut is the process that involves cutting and removing of a section of drywall. Generally, the cut is usually 2 feet above the level where the water reached at its highest point. Flood cuts are not always necessary our main goal is to save your walls so if we are able to do so that is what we will try to do. However, if the water is contaminated and contains harmful pathogens then it must be removed for you and your family’s safety.
Flood cuts allow us to access the damage that was done. We are able to see the area behind the wall and see or remove other affected materials. They also improve drying. Once the section of the wall is removed, it allows the framing and other wood components that are hidden behind the wall to dry faster. The faster things are dried the less likely the chance of mold growth.
If you ever experience a water damage in your North Rensselaer/ South Washington County home, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We are IICRC certified in water restoration and have a team of highly trained professionals who are eager to help you and restore your home back to preloss conditions! We are open 24/7 to assist you at any time of the day so give us a call at (518) 677-3444!
Is Your Emergency Kit Ready for Hurricane Week>
Give us a Call for all your Storm Emergency Needs. 518-677-3444
If a community is not prepared for a severe storm, the consequences can be devastating. We here in the North Rensselaer and South Washington County area are no strangers to storms! So, we here at your local SERVPRO wanted to share with you a few tips to keep in mind when putting together your emergency kit in the event of a severe storm.
A basic emergency kit should last you roughly 3 days and should include the following recommended items:
- Water (the average person should have one gallon per day)
- Non-perishable Food
- First aid kit as well as any medication that you are currently taking
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Battery powered or hand crank radio
- Local map
- Cell phone with backup charger
- Extra set of clothes
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Pet supplies if you are taking care of an animal.
These are just a few examples of what an emergency kit should contain. You can add whatever you would like to your own! You can also use ready.gov for additional ideas on what to pack in your emergency kit. We want to help you prepare for any storm! If a storm ever damages your home or business, please call us at (518)-677-3444.
Tips for Fire Pit Safety
Give us a call for any fire or water damage. 518-677-3444
There is nothing like enjoying a cool summer night sitting around a fire pit with your friends and families. Many of us look forward to nights like these where we can enjoy our time together. However, before you start to dream about starry nights and roasted marshmallows take a moment to review some of these tips and tricks for fire pit safety!
- Always build or place your fire pits in a flat open area, be sure to avoid areas that have trees.
- Always use dry wood and kindling to light your fire never use accelerants or garbage to light a fire.
- Never throw materials besides wood onto your fire.
- Ensure the seating area is large enough and properly placed for ventilation.
- Do not wear flammable clothing such as nylon or loose clothing that can easily get caught in fire.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water nearby.
- Check your wind direction prior to starting a fire.
- Us a commercial grade fire pit screen on top to help prevent large amber from leaving the controlled area.
- Do not allow children to start a fire or play near it, children should always be closely supervised around fires.
- When the fire dies down, use a shovel, and spread out the ashes to allow them to cool down. Pour water over the ashes and watch the, closely to ensure no embers remain or reignite.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind when planning to have a fire pit in your backyard. Fire safety is something that we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties take very seriously and we want the best for you and your family. Please give us a call if you experience any fire damage, we are certified in fire restoration and have a team of highly trained professionals who are ready to help. So, if you ever need us, please call us at (518) 677-3444.
Vandalism Cleanup for North Rensselaer/ South Washington County Hotel
Give us a call if you have vandalism done at your business.
Vandalism is the willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property. Vandalism includes graffiti, breaking windows, knocking over one’s property, “keying” vehicles or walls etc. As a business owner vandalism can be a very upsetting event to discover in your building. It ranges from relatively minor pranks to malicious destruction of property. According to the U.S Small Business Administration just one single act of vandalism on average costs over $3,000.
Property damage caused by vandalism such as a broken window, can cause serious property damage such as mold if not handled in an efficient and a timely manner. Which can ultimately, if not taken care of lead to permanent damage to the structure. When a building is left unattended, it may be found with broken windows, broken doors, graffiti, and even fire damages in some cases.
As a business and property owner finding you building in a state like this can be devastating. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties is a group of highly trained professionals who are equipped to clean and restore your property quickly and effectively, allowing you to resume your daily activities. SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties is an IICRC certified business that you can trust to service your business for vandalism and graffiti cleanup. We know how important restoring your business is to you and we want to help. Our professionals will act quickly to remove vandalism from your home or commercial spaces. We are a 24/7 emergency service business that will be there to help and restore your business back to "Like it never even happened." So do not hesitate to give us a call at (518)677-3444 if you have experienced any property damage caused by vandalism.
Simple Burn First Aid Tips
Give us a call for all your fire needs. 518-677-3444
When we think of fire damages we usually immediately think of our homes/offices or our belongings being destroyed. However, every year hundreds of thousands of individuals every year suffer from burn injuries. If you or someone you care about suffers a burn injury it is important to act quickly to help alleviate the pain and minimize the damage or extent of the injury. Here are some helpful tips that might help!
- Remove All Jewelry
One of the first things you should do if you have experienced a minor burn is to remove all jewelry near the burn area such as a ring or watch in order that they do not get stuck if the burn swells.
- Cool Burned Skin
Use cool water on the skin until the pain subsides or decreases. Using a cold compress may also work. You may depending on the severity of the burn want to apply a moisturizer such as aloe to help relieve pain and keep the area moisturized in order that it does not dry out.
- Loosely Bandage
Use sterile gauze to loosely wrap the affected area to help the area stay dry and clean as it heals.
- Take Pain Medication
Many of the times in minor burns the above steps will help to alleviate the pain. However, this is not always the case. Over the counter pain medications can help burn victims that are still in pain after the above measures are taken in the first aid process.
- Seek Medical Attention
If someone is still in a significant amount of pain after these steps or the burn is severe and beyond what you can handle, be sure to seek professional medical attention! Always seek medical attention if you feel you need it!
Fire damages in your home or commercial building can be overwhelming to think about, but knowing how to do burn first aid correctly and promptly will help keep you and your employees safe!