Pipes Frozen? No Thank you! Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes This Winter!
Give us a call at 518-677-3444!
With fall on its way out we are moving into winter months! And with that comes freezing temperatures! One of the most common causes of water damages in the winter months is when pipes freeze. When pipes freeze they expand which causes them to burst resulting in a water damage in your home. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties are here to help you if you or your business experience a water damage from frozen pipes this winter! A water damage in your home is no fun so here are a few tips to help prevent your pipes from freezing this winter!
- Adjusting your thermostat- keeping your thermostat the same temperature during both the evening and day reduces risk of pipes freezing
- Going away- if you are leaving your home for an extended period, leave your heat on and set the temperature to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- House Sitting- as a neighbor to check your house daily to ensure it is warm enough and pipes have not frozen.
- Garage- keep your garage door closed to keep cold air out!
- Insulation- insulate all exposed pipes properly.
- Faucet- Let your faucet drip, moving water is less likely to freeze!
So if your pipes freeze at your home or business and you experience a water damage please call us at 518-677-3444. We are available 24/7 365 days a year and are always happy to help!
Cold & Flu Season Are Upon Us- Tips to Keep You and Your Coworkers Healthy!
With COVID 19 still out there many of us have already increased our health and safety practices. However, the common cold and flu are still out there, and the season is upon us! Here are a few reminders to keep in mind to stay healthy:
- Drink lots of fluids, especially water. Staying hydrated is one of the most important habits to keep you healthy!
- Wash your hands. Hand hygiene is extremely important. Tip, keep some hand sanitizer on you at all times when out and about!
- When coughing or sneezing cover you mouth and nose your coworkers will greatly appreciate this!
- Get outside in the sun, go for a walk or a hike, vitamin D is important for your health!
- Sleep! It is important for adults to get 7 or more hours of sleep a night.
- Eat lots of fruit and veggies! Healthy eating habits are important in aiding fighting off a cold.
These are just a few tips to keep in mind during cold and flu season which we are approaching. We here at SERVPRO hope you and your family stay happy and healthy!
What To Do When Your Office Space Has a Water Damage
Oh no! You walk into your office to start your day of work and you notice the floor and walls are soaked with water! This is not how you wanted to start your day! What do you do and what steps need to be taken to get your space back to normal?
The first thing you need to do is give us here at SERVPRO of Bennington and Rutland Counties a call! The faster that we can arrive on site the better the chances are that the damage will not be as intense. And the more likely we can salvage and dry out your place of business.
The first thing to do is give us a call! Next, our professionals will inspect the affected area to determine the extent of the water damage. After a plan has been established the next steps will be taken by our staff to protect your business and its contents from further damage by extracting excess water and preparing to dry with our state-of-the-art equipment and doing whatever demolition needs to be done if things cannot be dried. The final step is for us to monitor your business and contents to ensure they are drying properly. One of our professionals will arrive on site daily to monitor the drying process.
Please do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any further questions, we can be reached 24/7 at 518-677-3444. We look forward to assisting you in your time of need!
We Can Take On Any Winter Storm!
A winter storm is typically occurring at extremely low temperatures where precipitation forms snow or sleet, or even rain that freezes and turns to ice when hitting the ground. A winter storm can be life threatening so it is important to be able to differentiate the different possible storms for your safety!
Blizzards are a combination of blowing snow which creates low visibility. Blizzards are dangerous storms that can have an accumulation of a lot of snow fall on the ground. If you get stuck in a blizzard for a long period of time it can lead to hypothermia and even frostbite.
Snow Flurries usually last for a short period of time but vary with intensity. Typically, they are light and within a few seconds of hitting pavement the snow usually melts right away.
A Snow squall although it is brief can cause some major safety concerns. They are short intense snowfalls that come with strong winds and greatly impact your visibility of your surroundings. So be careful when driving in situations like this!
Ice storms are storms that cause at least a fourth of an inch of ice forming on the ground or exposed surfaces. Ice storms create extremely poor driving conditions, so you want to be extremely cautious if you get caught driving in an ice storm. Tree branches and power lines also have been known to fall during ice storms due to the weight the ice puts on the, which can cause them to snap.
No matter the winter storm or damage that occurs from it we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties are here to help! If you experience damage from a storm to your home or business, please call us at 518-677-3444.
Summer Vacation Plans? Protect Your Home From Water Damage While You Are Away!
Summer 2021 officially kicks off June 21st, 2021! And with summer usually comes a vacation. We all could use a vacation and the last thing you want to worry about on vacation is a water damage in your home when you return. One of the most common causes of home water damage during the summer is when a family leaves to go on vacation. We leave our homes empty for days, weeks, and some people even months and the tiniest of leaks left unchecked can cause a substantial amount of water damage that can be devastating!
In order to prevent water damages from occurring while you are on vacation it is important to prepare your home! We here at SERVPRO have some tips to ensure the safety of your home!
- Turn off the main water. Turning off the water main to your home will avoid water pressure from building up in your pipes and weaken them.
- Turn off your water heater. This prevents your water heater from having any problem while you are away.
- Drain your pipes. Running faucets in your home will ensure that the pipes are alleviated of any pressure.
- Have a friend or neighbor check on your home. With so much that can go wrong when we are away from our homes having someone to check on your house will be the best way to sure any situation that unfortunately can occur will be handled quickly and this will decrease the amount of damage that can happen.
If you or your loved ones experience any kind of water damage, we here at SERVPRO are available 24/7 for all of your water restoration needs. We have state of the art equipment as well as IICRC water mitigation experts who will be there at any time of the day to help you in a time of need. Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you experience a water damage at 518-677-3444. We are happy to help!
Simple Burn First Aid Tips
When we think of fire damages we usually immediately think of our homes/offices or our belongings being destroyed. However, every year hundreds of thousands of individuals every year suffer from burn injuries. If you or someone you care about suffers a burn injury it is important to act quickly to help alleviate the pain and minimize the damage or extent of the injury. Here are some helpful tips that might help!
- Remove All Jewelry
One of the first things you should do if you have experienced a minor burn is to remove all jewelry near the burn area such as a ring or watch in order that they do not get stuck if the burn swells.
- Cool Burned Skin
Use cool water on the skin until the pain subsides or decreases. Using a cold compress may also work. You may depending on the severity of the burn want to apply a moisturizer such as aloe to help relieve pain and keep the area moisturized in order that it does not dry out.
- Loosely Bandage
Use sterile gauze to loosely wrap the affected area to help the area stay dry and clean as it heals.
- Take Pain Medication
Many of the times in minor burns the above steps will help to alleviate the pain. However, this is not always the case. Over the counter pain medications can help burn victims that are still in pain after the above measures are taken in the first aid process.
- Seek Medical Attention
If someone is still in a significant amount of pain after these steps or the burn is severe and beyond what you can handle, be sure to seek professional medical attention! Always seek medical attention if you feel you need it!
Fire damages in your home or commercial building can be overwhelming to think about, but knowing how to do burn first aid correctly and promptly will help keep you and your employees safe!
What to do When Your Basement Floods
When a basement floods it is a stressful and confusing time. There are several different reasons basements can flood, a broken water pipe, heavy rainfall, or even a sump pump failure. Fortunately, here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties we have been able to help families with flooded basements all around our local area and are ready to help you! Here are some important steps to take when dealing with a flooded basement:
- Turn off your electricity. This is the first step you want to take as soon as you can safely navigate to the breaker box. Appliances or wires may be in water so there is a good chance there is an electrical current traveling through standing water. This can be deadly! You would want to contact an electrician or electrical company if you are unable to turn it off safely.
- Find/Stop the source of the flood. If you discover the flood is plumbing related you will want to turn off your homes main water valve. If you discover it is rainwater that is flooding your home you will want to use sand bags or flood bags to create a barrier.
- Remove the water. You can use a shop vac, mopping, or blotting to do this depending on the severity. However, the more water you can pick up the better!
- Remove affected materials. You want to dispose of flooded carpeting or padding that is unsalvageable. Other porous items such as wooden furniture or sofas need drying as soon as possible to salvage them!
- Did you know that mold can start to develop within 24 hours of introduction to water? It is crucial to dry and disinfect the area properly in order to keep mold and bacteria from growing and spreading.
If your home suffers a water damage from a flooded basement, you want to check your insurance coverage to see what is covered. We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties have years of experience and the resources to help with all your water damage needs. And we are prepared to get your home back to pre-flood conditions, “Like it never even happened.”
Stay Safe While Grilling!
If us a call for our SERVPRO Grill Safety Tips. 518-677-3444
With grilling season in full swing so are grill related disasters! Did you know that between 2014-2018 there were around 10,600 home fires per year due to a grill like incident? The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that roughly there was $149 million in damages due to these fires. There are however steps you can take to help minimize your chances of ending up in a bad situation and protect yourself and your loved ones.
- Grills should be placed away from your home, deck railings, and overhanging branches.
- Be aware of grass near your grill especially if it dry. If ashes fly off from your grill and land on dry grass a fire can be started quickly.
- Always keep your children and pets away from the grill!
- Never leave your grill unattended!
- Always clean your grill after you are finished using it. You want to remove grease and fat buildup from the grill trays and below your grill.
When fire and water damages transpire a fast response is crucial. And we here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties are here to help! We are available 24/7 365 days a year and are dedicated to responding immediately to your needs. A faster response time helps to prevent secondary damage and greatly reduce costs. If you experience a barbecue or grill fire, call us at (518) 677-3444.
SVMC Essential Workers Charity Golf Tournament
More details on the tournament to follow!
We here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/ South Washington Counties are beyond thrilled to announce that on October 2nd, 2021 we will be hosting our first every Charity Golf Tournament! This tournament is benefiting South Western Vermont Medical Center (SVMC). We are especially grateful to all our essential workers at the hospital and are proud to support this wonderful cause!
SVMC has provided quality medical care for the Bennington area for roughly 100 years. It has nine total locations that service Bennington, New York, and Massachusetts. This year has been far from easy and even more challenging with the Covid 19 Pandemic. Yet, SVMC has provided excellent care to many in our local communities despite the many difficulties they have faced.
We are so looking forward to supporting the hospital in this charity tournament and we hope to see many of you there! Keep an eye out on our Instagram and Website where more details are soon to follow!
How to Prevent Rain Damage and Water Inundation in Your Building
Give us a call if you basement is flooded and you need extraction. 518-677-3444
Rain damage can lead to mold growth and structural damage to your North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties commercial property. This is something no business ever wants to experience and have to go though. Fortunately, there are several different precautions you can take to avoid water inundation in your commercial building.
Building envelopes are barriers between the interior of a building and the outdoors. Some examples of this would-be doors, windows, the roof, and even the walls or foundation. Regular maintenance on these envelopes is essential to maintain their integrity. These envelopes are your buildings primary protection against water damage. You want to keep an eye out for cracks, deteriorating seals, mold growth, or other signs of envelope failure.
At times of heavy rain, it may be necessary to set up temporary precautions to protect the buildings envelopes against rain damage. Remember, that barriers should not go around the entire building because water that gets between the barrier and the building needs to be able to escape.
Weather is among one of the many things that business owners cannot control. Hopefully, the above precautions will be able to minimize or eliminate a water damage from happening. However, if these steps do not work you will want to hire a professional mitigation team to handle the work. We here at North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties are a team of highly trained professionals with the skills to restore any size building that has been impacted by a water damage. Our staff has state of the art drying equipment that will aid in this restoration process. We are a 24/7 emergency service company that is always here to help! Please give us a call at (518) 677-3444 if you experience any storm damage large or small!