It’s that time of year again when we have to watch the weather channel before making plans outdoors. Spring is well known for its rainstorms and thunderstorms. Rain and thunderstorms are very unpredictable and can come out of nowhere, sometimes at a moment’s notice and can ruin your beautiful afternoon outdoors.
Storms are not just a nuisance, but could potentially be very dangerous. Thunderstorms can be more dangerous and deadly than a hurricane or tornado. The best thing you can do during a thunderstorm watch is take it seriously and be prepared.
- Cancel or postpone outdoor activities.
- Create an emergency kit, in case the power goes out. Have supplies ready and prepare to not have power for several days.
- Make sure flashlights have batteries.
- Unplug electronics (TVs, appliances, computers, etc.) or use surge protectors to protect electronics.
- Secure outdoor objects so they do not blow away or get damaged from high winds.
- Stay tuned to weather reports via radio or internet.
Has your home or business suffered from storm damage? Call SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties at (518)677-3444.