Precautions to Take During Thunder and Lightening!
According to the National Weather Services, so far in 2019 there have been 12 fatalities due to lightening. When lightening strikes do you know what to do? What measures can you take to ensure your safety, your family’s safety, and even your pets? Here are some safety suggestions and guidelines to follow!
- Get inside a house or a large shelter. If safe shelter is unavailable find a low spot away from trees, metal fences, and poles.
- Do not use your balcony, porches, or an open garage area during storm.
- Do not use a phone that is attached to a cord. Only use cordless or wireless phones.
- Do not shower and avoid washing your hands and dishes.
- Bring your pets inside during a severe storm, avoid leaving them tied up outside or in a doghouse.
- Do not touch TV’s, computers, or other electronic devices or appliances with cords.
- Do not lean on exterior doors or windows that could possibly contain some amount of metal components.
- Postpone outdoor activities if thunderstorms are imminent.
- If boating or swimming, get out of the boat and away from the water, get to land and find some shelter.
- Wait at least 30 minutes after you hear the last roar of thunder before going outside.
Here at SERVPRO of North Rensselaer/South Washington Counties we want our community to stay safe and follow precautions!